When you think of foods that are most likely to make you sick you probably aren’t thinking about your greens. Well, guess what, leafy greens have been found to be one of the leaders in causing sickness. Caroline Smith DeWaal, the CSPI’s head of food safety programs stated that “we don’t recommend that consumers change their eating habits” Instead, they are trying to point out vulnerabilities in the nation’s food safety system as it lobbies Congress to beef up enforcement.
After statistics were calculate the top ten foods to make you sick came back as,
- Eggs, involved in 352 outbreaks and 11,163 reported cases of illness.
- Tuna, involved in 268 outbreaks and 2,341 reported cases of illness.
- Oysters, involved in 132 outbreaks and 3,409 reported cases of illness.
- Potatoes, involved in 108 outbreaks and 3,659 reported cases of illness.
- Cheese, involved in 83 outbreaks and 2,761 reported cases of illness.
- Ice cream, involved in 74 outbreaks and 2,594 reported cases of illness.
- Tomatoes, involved in 31 outbreaks and 3,292 reported cases of illness.
- Sprouts, involved in 31 outbreaks and 2,022 reported cases of illness.
- Berries, involved in 25 outbreaks and 3,397 reported cases of illness.
Smith referred to the list as “the tip of the iceberg.” If you are concerned about getting sick make sure to take the necessary precautions. It is always better to make sure your food is kept refrigerated and avoid eating raw foods. The FDA is trying to do more to help the situation as well. As of right now, there are several bills circulating congress that aim to allow for the FDA to look into plans and inspect more closely.