Having your car at school can be a great thing – for one thing, it means extra storage for you! But there are a few things you should make sure to have in your vehicle, should you ever need to use them.
1. A spare tire – I feel like this goes without saying, but you really ought to have an extra tire in your car. Many people are far from home when they’re at school, and going to a auto shop near your university can be expensive. It’s better to have your own spare, and at least have a general idea on how to replace it. If you get stuck, there’s always Google, or you probably have a good chance of finding someone who can help you on your campus.
2. An umbrella – You never know when a torrential downpour might start on your way to class, and it never hurts to be prepared. Toss a little umbrella in your glove compartment or your back seat and you’re ready for any weather.
3. Hat/Mittens/Boots – If you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow and cold weather, it might be a good idea to have extra cold weather accessories in your car, in the event of a break down in those cold winter months. Even if you don’t break down or go in the ditch somewhere along the way, often cars are quite chilly in the winter, and it wouldn’t hurt to be a little extra cozy.
4. GPS – It doesn’t have to be a thousand dollar state of the art system (and in fact, it’s probably better if it’s not), but it is a good idea to have a GPS of some sort in your car, especially if you aren’t all that familiar with your college town at first. They can help you find your way back home for Thanksgiving, find the grocery store in town when you’re low on ramen, or locate that great little restaurant everyone’s been talking about.
5. Your registration and proof of insurance – Again, this should be a no-brainer, but if for some reason, you needed to prove your car was registered (say you got pulled over – mistakenly, of course), you need to have this with you. Chances are, mom and dad aren’t right down the road to bail you out anymore, so it’s best that you don’t tempt fate, and just have the proper paperwork.
It can be tough to choose what kind of insurance plan or coverage you need as a college student, especially when you’re on a budget. This video can help you choose: